April 21st. in the afternoon. By an absolute majority in the first round, Rosa Vives elected director of the new Department of Arts & Conservation-Restoration, Faculty of Fine Arts.
Rosa Vives. Degree in Fine Arts, specializing in painting and diploma Engraving and Stamping (UB Faculty of Fine Arts, 1973) and Art History (UB Faculty of Geography and History, 1983). In 1985 she was awarded with doctorate in Fine Arts, University of Barcelona, with the thesis “Fortuny engraver, contributions to the knowledge of his work,” directed by Dr. José Milicua and qualified to Outstanding cum laude.
Since 1975 she teaches at the University of Barcelona, Faculty of Fine Arts, and in 1987 got a tenured chair-woman position at the Faculty. As a teacher and specialist in theory, history and practice of engraving has taught continuing education courses, postgraduate and university extension in the National Library in Madrid and the School of Library and Information Science at the University of Barcelona, among others.
She has been PI or researcher in competitive research projects related to artistic experimentation, especially in the field of graphic work. Her artistic work can be consulted in her website. She specializes in engravings by the Fortuny´s. She has conducted research on Piranesi, Goya, Picasso and Rafael Estrany among others. Among her published work, we can highlight
- Del cobre al papel. La imagen multiplicada (1994)
- Guía para la identificación de grabados (2004)
She was elected academic of number by the painting section of the Royal Catalan Academy of Fine Arts, Sant Jordi on 21 March 2012. She joined in February 20t, 2013, delivering the lecture “Looking at patterns and motifs“.
A couple of years ago, she conducted a research on Goya’s etchings. The study concluded that the twelve engravings attributed to Francisco de Goya (1746-1828), hidden for more than a century Masia d’en Cabanyes in Vilanova (Garraf) are authentic, and moreover, exceptional.
Follow this research at UB News
- 20.08.2013 M. Rosa Vives: «L’estudi dels dotze gravats de Goya conservats a Vilanova ha tingut premi»
- 03.05.2013 La catedràtica Maria Rosa Vives descobreix l’empremta de Goya a Vilanova i la Geltrú
- 15.04.2013 M. Rosa Vives: «L’estudi dels dotze gravats de Goya conservats a Vilanova ha tingut premi»
- 21.02.2013 La catedràtica Maria Rosa Vives ingressa a la Reial Acadèmia Catalana de Belles Arts de Sant Jordi
- 31.01.2013 Un estudi confirma l’alt valor documental dels dotze gravats de Goya conservats a Vilanova i la Geltrú